Storm Chase Details

Chase Date: April 23, 2010
Chase Partners:

Chasers Encountered:
Kris Hair, Gene Yates

Miles Logged: 660
States Chased: TX, LA
Severe Risks: SPC Outlooks

Chase Recap:

After the big bust for me in West Texas the day before, I woke up in Sherman, TX and headed east towards Shreveport, LA. This was the first time I had ever been to Louisiana.

I got down to Texarkana right around lunchtime, and then headed south to Shreveport. I ended up sitting at a gas station in Shreveport baking in the sun and high humidity for most of the afternoon, before deciding to drive around the city a bit and then positioning myself near Greenwood, LA at the Loves truck stop.

Storms started firing way east near Waco, TX. The 18Z SHV sounding didn’t show much of a cap, but convection seemed to be somewhat capped all afternoon. Shreveport mentioned in NWS Chat that the stuff that fired near Waco would be the show for the day, so I headed towards an intercept point. I ended up doing a couple phoners with The Weather Channel, and got down to Jacksonville, TX to an intercept point. I also got a pretty nice shot of mammatus clouds near Jacksonville.

At the time I got to Jacksonville, things started firing all the way up the dryline, from Northwest Arkansas down to the stuff I was on. I thought I had completely busted at that point, as the cell about 25 miles northwest of Shreveport went Tornado Warned and moved very slowly. Scott Bennett, Steve Miller and Hans were on that cell, and apparently it didn’t produce but still was decent to see in person from what I heard.

I ended up intercepting all the cells down south, and got on a tornado warned one near Rusk which I chased all the way to about Carthage before the storm finally died out, I guess from running into a stronger cap and loss of daytime heating.

I headed back up to Bossier City to meet up with Kris Hair and decide what I wanted to do for Saturday. We ate at the IHop there then headed east on I-20 with an original target of Monroe, LA to stop for the night. We ended up going all the way to Vicksburg, MS before stopping for the night as there was no hotel rooms in Monroe.