Storm Chase Details

Chase Date: May 29, 2012
Miles Logged: 386
States Chased: OK
Largest Hail Encountered: 1.5"
Severe Risks: SPC Outlooks

Chase Recap:

Truck issues (cont)

After driving home from Nebraska the 28th, I ran around most of the morning on the 29th trying to get my truck fixed. I got the caliper bolts and expected them to take 15 minutes to replace, but had trouble getting a lug nut off. JR tried to help me and we ended up breaking a breaker bar. Discount Tire ended up breaking 2 sockets and had no luck. I ended up having luck at Ron’s automotive in Norman as they were able to break the lug nut and get the caliper bolts on. I replaced the lug nut and was in business.

Drop off Ashley at airport

It was lunch time already, so Ashley and I got something to eat before I dropped her off at the airport. After dropping her off at the airport I headed west on I-40 to 270 to Watonga. The atmosphere was definitely extremely unstable, and my air conditioner had a hard time keeping up.

Storm Initiation?

Questions remained on where storms would fire, but I thought the best area was north of Watonga. After arriving in Watonga, I topped off my tank. Finally got to meet Scott and Dave from New York!

Heading North

I ended up taking off north, going all the way to Grant County. The storm which initiated up north was attempting to wrap up. A pesky storm on it’s flank seemed to ruin its chances of becoming better organized. I started bailing south, eventually ending up on the tail end storm in Kingfisher County.

Into OKC Metro

The National Weather Service issued a Tornado Warning as the storms collided with each other. There would end up being a brief tornado near Piedmont which I was out of position for.

After Dark tornado near Union City?

As I dropped south out of Oklahoma City, I started heading west on OK-152. In the dark, it looked like a tornado spun up near Union City. It may have been dust/dirt being sucked into the storm, as radar did not support what I was seeing visually.